Living in the Pacific Northwest has many perks, but one of them is definitely not mold and mildew. We live in the place where your grass is brown in the summer and your sidewalk is green during the winter. Unfortunately last week we discovered green, fuzzy, icky mold growing in two different spots in our apartment. (I did take pictures for our manager, but I will spare you the gruesome photos.) I clean all the time, but I don’t think there is a way to have a completely mold spore free house, even if I am allergic to penicillin. Anyway, we contacted our manager and they immediately took care of things. We also have done our part in making our home environment less mold friendly.
Every day we spray our shower curtain with clean shower mist and then quite frequently we will clean it with bleach or Lysol. However, it still manages to grow black grime and pink ooze. Therefore, I decided to take even more action to fix the problem. I removed the heavy duty plastic curtain from the rings and rod and then washed it in the washing machine on the normal warm water cycle with 1 cup white vinegar, the typical amount of laundry detergent, a scoop of Oxi Clean and about 1/2 cup of Borax. It came out looking brand spanking new.
And thanks to Minerva of Making Bread, I have also been adding about 1/4 cup of 2o Mule Team Borax to all of my loads of laundry. No longer am I assaulted by stinky dish rags in the kitchen and no longer does that horrid smell rub off on my fingers.
In case you were wondering, 20 Mule Team Borax can be found in the laundry aisle of any major shopping store.
For more Works-For-Me-Wednesday ideas and tips, please visit Shannon of Rocks In My Dryer.